- Dry fry the chiles over a medium heat for 30-60 secs, just until they soften (you don’t want to over cook them as they will get bitter). Clean the stem, seeds and veins out.
- Boil the chiles in just enough water to cover them, for 20 mins. They should be soft.
- Blend together chiles (including the water), tomatoes, garlic, onion, break the fried tortillas into the blender and add the stock. Blend until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a pot, add the blended soup mixture, you want it to hit the oil when it’s hot so it slightly fries the liquid. Add the epazote and salt to taste. Allow to boil for 10 mins. Taste and add more salt if needed. You should end up with about 1 ½ litres of soup, it shouldn’t be too liquid, if necessary you can reduce the liquid by boiling to get the consistency you like.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with fried tortilla strips, fresh crumbled feta cheese, fried chile strips, avocado slices and a good dollop of sour cream.